Saturday, January 21, 2012

Taste of India


So, on a recent date night--the sparseness of this blog pretty much reflects the sparseness of our dating life--the husband and I attempted to eat at the Local Chop & Grill AGAIN. I really think they don't want us there. My husband called to make a reservation, and they told him we didn't need one...then we showed up, and they were closed. As God is my witness, we will eat there some day! And never go hungry again!

Uhm. So anyway, we decided to go to Taste of India instead, and I figured I'd write about it here.
  • Location: 498 University Blvd. It's near that spot on Reservoir where you think you're cool and then suddenly it turns into a left-only lane and you can't get back over. Once you make that left turn, take the first parking lot on the right and enjoy some Indian food. 
  • Website: http://tasteofindiahbg.com/html/location_harrisonburg.html The site loads slowly and doesn't have a lot of information on it, but it is a good place to grab their menu if you want to look before you go.
  • Food profile: Indian (duh). Unlike Indian American Cafe, which actually is more of a Nepalese flavor, this is India Indian food. Tandoori, I guess. 
  • Price: $10-$15 for an entree. They also have a pretty sweet lunch buffet, which I think is around $8.
  • Specialties: I'm not really sure what they'd say their specialties are (the food is all good), so I'm going to go with service and hospitality. The staff does a great job of making one feel at home, keeping the water glass filled, answering questions, and generally being friendly without being obtrusive.
  • Local sourcing? Not as far as I could gather.
  • Tip: Can't decide what you want? Get the thali, sort of a combination platter. I always assumed it meant "sampler," but the last time I was in there, the proprietress (I think that's what she is--she's always there and seems to be running things) told me that "thali" means "at home"--it's like the little nosh you put together out of your fridge for a casual family dinner. Available in vegetarian and meat.
Food: A wide selection of Indian food. You can request various levels of spiciness when you order, and unlike Indian American Cafe (see, I'm going to have to write an entry about that place now, because I really do love it and here I am knocking it...), the spice level seems to mean something.

Atmosphere: The exterior looks a bit questionable, like it's part of a shopping plaza (which it is). Inside, though, the whole place is decorated with beautiful prints and statues from India, the waitresses all wear beautiful saris and salwar-kameez, and the tables are set with pressed linens. It's not the fanciest place in town, but it's no dive.


1 comment:

  1. I find you're continued struggles with the Chop House really funny. One can only hope that someone who works there stumbles upon this blog and offers you guys a free meal because it really is pretty great!

    The lunch buffet at Taste of India is hands down the best Indian buffet that I've been to.

    ReplyDelete